Friday, March 13, 2009

Birth of Journo 2.0

The year 2009, and for that matter, 2008, have been unkind to the newspaper industry. But, as my dad used to tell me: you made the bed, now you have to sleep in it.

Watching a steady stream of wire reports, twitter posts and print headlines extolling the doom of newspapers, and seeing a steadier flow of colleagues' job losses - wondering if I am next - prompted me to start blogging about it.

Call it stress management. Call it catharsis. Call it an axe to grind.

Hopefully, in the end - with the contribution of others - we can call it a solution.

Print newspapers have a place in today's 'instant-society'. And yes, I do believe a daily morning newspaper can survive in this world of instant news, split second headlines, e-mail, twitter, the Web, television and radio.

You probably think I'm one of the dinosaurs who helped get print media in this place to begin with - especially with my belief we can compete with other media. Or, you may think I am some greenhorn just out of J-school, hoping, begging, pleading to get a career out of a field many say is all but dead.

Actually - I am neither. I will admit to being an opportunist, an idealist, and a believer in doing things better and smarter than the other guys. I am a journalist, a writer, a media professional with a profound passion for what I do; and I am a person who believes that there is no better medium than newspaper to explore life in our respective communities.

Over the next several weeks, months, and maybe even years - I will explore journalism and print media as it undergoes a metamorphosis of sorts.

In the end, I believe you too will believe newspapers can survive - though I will pull no punches and I will show the reality of the other side, and why it doesn't work.

Look forward to having you join my journey - and if you like it, pass it along to other journalists and writers. Together, we can change journalism and we can alter the devastating path of newspapers across North America.

Are you up for it?

FdS

No comments:

Post a Comment